Release of Liability

You are going to sell your car but you don’t know where to start?

According to the DMV, you have notify them that you are going to have sold or transferred your vehicle to another party by sending a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability.  It is used only when ownership of the vehicle has changed. Legal owner transfers (transfers between lenders or removal of a lienholder from the title) do not require an NRL. Sounds a little hard, right? Anyway, this is one of our services! We make it an easy process for you and this way you won’t have to worry at all, we can do it for you in no time. All you need to do is to fill out a form and now, you are free of all responsibility for the vehicle and this way you will make sure that if the car is involved in an accident, it won’t go to your record.

A Release of Liability a document that releases a party from liability, meaning, that the parties to this document have reached an agreement that they will not sue or take other legal action against the other.

What do legal transfers not require and how does it protect me?

Legal ownership transfers do not entail an NRL and when properly fulfilled, and the information is documented by the DMV, liability for parking and/or parking violations/civil litigations, resulting from operation after the date of sale, becomes the responsibility of the succeeding purchaser.


Am I required to notify the DMV when I sell and/or transfer my vehicle to another owner?

Yes! You are mandatory by law to notify the DMV within 5 calendar days from the date you sell or transfer title interest in and deliver possession of the said vehicle to another owner. (Vehicle code 5900)


Does the NRL remove my name from the vehicle record?

No. Only the buyer’s application for transfers using the endorsed title received from you can do that. When the information required on the NRL is received by the DMV and updated to the record, you are no longer responsible for civil or criminal actions arising with the vehicle after the date of sale.


What information is needed to complete an NRL?

The department is required to collect the following information (Vehicle Code 5900):

  • Description of vehicle/ vessel including the

  • Vehicle license plate or vessel CF #


  • VIN/ Vessel bull #

  • Vehicle make/ Vessel builder

  • Year model

  • New owner’s name/ address

  • Vehicle odometer reading as the sale or transfer date

  • Date of sale

  • Seller’s or lessee’s name address


NOTE: If any of this information is absent, the department may be incapable to renovate the vehicle record and/or these conditions may debar your liability exemption.


How will I prove that I filed an NRL via the Internet?

When the transaction has been conveyed to DMV you will be given a confirmation. Print and keep it for your records!

Do I have to complete the NRL myself?

No, you do not need to complete an NRL by yourself, but by doing so, you will be sure that the DMV receives your NRL in a timely manner. You may have someone else submit the NRL on your behalf, but you are still responsible if any information is missing or incorrect.


What if I cannot remember the name of the person to whom I sold or transferred the vehicle?

If you can’t remember the name of the person to whom you sold or transferred your vehicle to, you may put "unknown" in the new buyer's name and address fields.

What if there is not a match on my plate or VIN number?

If so, you must check to make sure that you have inputted the accurate information. If the information is correct, yet you continue to receive an error message stating that there is no match for the keyed information, you should contact the DMV at 1-800-777-0133.


If I file an NRL electronically, do I still need to submit a paper copy?

No, if you file an NRL electronically, you do not need to submit a paper copy.  


May I still file a paper copy instead of filing through the Internet?

Yes, you can with the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability. You must complete it, and mail it to the address on the form & if any of the information is missing or indecipherable, the department may be incapable of updating the vehicle record, which may disqualify your liability exemption. You should make a photocopy of the completed (REG 138) form for your file!


How do I obtain a copy of the NRL I submitted to DMV?

You may download the Request for Record Information (PDF) (INF 70), complete it and mail it along with the required fee to the address on the form.


How to stop receiving renewal notices for a vehicle you no longer own.

If you receive a renewal notice for a vehicle that you no longer own, the DMV probably did not receive a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability, or it can have been submitted, but was incomplete or illegible. In both of these case, you must resubmit another Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability for the record to be updated once again.

NOTE: If the original Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability was submitted online do not send the renewal notice or the online confirmation page to the department. Your confirmation page is proof that the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability has been submitted.

Can the online NRL application be used, if the buyer/ seller is a business? 

Yes, it may! Just start the business name in the last name field and continue into the first name field if it is necessary.

Call us toll-free


802 Navajo Rd #B

Perris, CA 92570



1420 High St #E

Delano, CA 93215


Mercado Latino


1310 Chamberlain Ave #A 

Bakersfield, CA 93305



917 7th St

Wasco, CA 93280


497 E Center Ave 
Earlimart, CA 93219


February 19 Presidents Day


  • Facebook Clean
  • White Google+ Icon
  • Yelp - White Circle

© 2017 by AIIA INC

Auto  International Insurance Agency Inc is licensed by the state of California OL License Number #80629. Auto International Insurance Agency Inc. is not owned and operated by any government agency. Tito Placas Is Trademarked.  We are not the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV)