Out of State Transfers

A nonresident vehicle is a vehicle last registered in another state or country, and when someone moves, they must re-register their vehicle in their new living location. 

You will always need the following: 

Many DMVs have different requirement, so it is quite likely that the following MAY be NEEDED: 



Can I register my nonresident vehicle in California?

Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident automobile while in the State of California, should be aware that some nonresident vehicles CAN NOT be registered in California or the United States (U.S.). Check the fast facts brochure, the Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register It in California? (FFVR 29) on the (DMV) website.

Caution: Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle which is less than 2 years old and has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition.


Requirements to register a nonresident vehicle.

  • An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form, completed and signed by all registered owners shown on the out-of-state registration or title. For leased vehicles, the signature of the lessor is required.

  • The last issued out-of-state title. When an out-of-state title is not surrendered to DMV, the California registration card is marked "nontransferable" and a California title is not issued.

  • The last issued out-of-state registration certificate or current year renewal notice, for the current year, or a letter, fax, or wire from the last registration jurisdiction verifying the registered owner's name(s) and the vehicle's last registration expiration date.

  • Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form completed by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or California-licensed vehicle verifier 

  • Commercial motor vehicles (vehicles designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property or used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit) that weigh:

    • Over 6,001 pounds unladen (empty) require a Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form. 

    • 10,000 pounds or less unladen also require a California public weighmaster's certificate. To find a public scale, check your telephone directory or visit the California Department of Food and Agriculture website.
      A weigh master's certificate is not required for:

      • Autos (unless registered as commercial vehicles).

      • Motorcycles.

      • Trailers.

      • Certain commercial vehicles:

        • If a prior California registration shows the unladen weight, and the vehicle's weight has not been altered.

        • With an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less when the out-of-state title or registration shows empty, unladen, scale, tare, or WT/Wheels weight.

        • Two or three-axle trucks weighing 10,001 pounds or more. The estimated weight must be entered on the REG 343.

  • Trailers (except trailer coaches or park trailers) require:

  • A smog certification from a California smog station is required for the following vehicles:

    • Gasoline-powered-1976 and newer year models (motorcycles are exempt).

    • Diesel-powered-1998 and newer year models with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) under 14,001 pounds (diesel hybrids included).

    • Natural gas or propane-powered with a GVWR under 14,001 pounds.

  • The out-of-state license plates. However, you may keep the license plates if they are:

    • Expired.

    • Required to be returned to the state they were issued from.

    • For an interstate-registered vehicle (maintaining full registration in California and another state).

  • Applicable registration, transfer, and use tax fees.


When do I have to pay fees to register my nonresident vehicle?

Registration fees for your nonresident vehicle must be paid to DMV within 20 days of the date they become due. The date that registration fees become due varies. 

Note: To avoid penalties, submit your registration application and fees on time, even if you do not have all the requirements (title, smog, etc.) needed to register the vehicle in California.


What fees are due?

The number of fees due depends on a variety of factors. An exact amount can only be calculated when you submit your registration application to DMV. 


How do I change ownership?

To change ownership throughout of state, the following must be completed/is needed:

Requesting a duplicate Out-of-State Title

If the out-of-state title has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, and you are changing ownership or wish to have a California title issued, a duplicate must be obtained from the state that issued the title. 

Call us toll-free


802 Navajo Rd #B

Perris, CA 92570



1420 High St #E

Delano, CA 93215


Mercado Latino


1310 Chamberlain Ave #A 

Bakersfield, CA 93305



917 7th St

Wasco, CA 93280


497 E Center Ave 
Earlimart, CA 93219


February 19 Presidents Day


  • Facebook Clean
  • White Google+ Icon
  • Yelp - White Circle

© 2017 by AIIA INC

Auto  International Insurance Agency Inc is licensed by the state of California OL License Number #80629. Auto International Insurance Agency Inc. is not owned and operated by any government agency. Tito Placas Is Trademarked.  We are not the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV)